Breast reduction is a major cosmetic surgery procedure involving significant pre-operative preparation. Well-prepared patients will typically achieve safer and more effective outcomes.
During the initial consultation, the breast surgeon will discuss the preparatory steps with the patient and address her doubts and concerns, if any. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bryson Richards provides breast reduction to patients in Las Vegas, NV, and surrounding communities.
Advance Preparatory Steps
The following steps should ideally be followed well before the scheduled date of breast reduction plastic surgery procedure.
- Contact the general physician, specialists and hospital for past health records to be submitted to the breast surgeon’s office for their review.
- Prepare a list of all medications, including both prescription and non-prescription drugs, blood thinners such as aspirin, herbal supplements and vitamins to present before the surgeon.
- Get any specialized mammograms, lab tests or x-rays done as recommended by the surgeon.
- Adjust the schedule of the prescription medications in consultation with the primary physician, as required.
- Stop smoking for a certain period of time prior to the breast reduction surgery, as per the surgeon’s advice.
- Complete any pressing tasks at the workplace or home before the date of surgery in order to ensure a fairly stress-free post-operative recovery phase.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to drive the patient back home after the breast reduction procedure.
- Arrange for aftercare for a few days or have someone stay at home with the patient to assist with household tasks.
Patients can improve their chances of a safer, more comfortable, and faster recovery when they follow these recovery instructions as closely as possible.
A Day Prior to the Surgery
Just a day prior to the breast reduction surgery, the patient should follow these simple guidelines, which will be provided by the cosmetic surgeon:
- Take adequate rest and have a full night’s sleep before the surgery day.
- Do not eat or drink anything for about eight hours before the surgery.
- Avoid alcohol for at least 48 hours before the scheduled time of surgery.
- Do not wear jewelry, other expensive accessories and body piercings on the day of the surgery.
- Wear loose fitting and comfortable clothes on way to the surgical center. The top should button in the front for easy handling after the surgery.
- Diabetics should make sure to have their vital parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
Some degree of pre-operative stress and anxiety is expected a day prior to the surgery, and is not a cause for worry. The surgeon may prescribe a mild calming medication to be taken on the night before the surgery.
Pain meds, bandages, loose garments, extra pillows, and other essential items should be arranged at home in advance so that the patient will not face inconvenience when she returns home from the surgery center. Dr. Richards receives patients from Las Vegas, NV, and nearby areas for breast reduction surgery and other surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures.
Taking new patients from Las Vegas, Bullhead City, Laughlin, Pahrump, Mesquite NV and surrounding areas.