NECK LIFT SURGERY
The neck region is commonly one of the first areas to display the visible signs of aging, as constant gravitational forces exacerbate the loss of elasticity in the facial tissues, potentially leading to the development of fatty jowls, a double chin, and other aesthetic problems, including:
- Increasingly noticeable vertical or horizontal bands along the neck
- Weakened neck musculature, which can disrupt the strong, youthfully defined lines of the jaw
- Skin laxity (loose or hanging skin) of the neck region, which often produces the undesirable “turkey wattle” appearance. Laxity in the neck area often presents in men and women who have lost a significant amount of weight in a short period of time. This loose skin cannot be eliminated with diet, exercise, or topical treatments—it can only be corrected with a surgical procedure.
- The accumulation of fat deposits in the neck region, eventually creating the look of fatty jowls or a double chin
The appearance of the neck can also be negatively impacted by factors such as genetics, smoking, sun exposure, nutrition, and weight gain or loss. Neck lift surgery is performed to treat and correct aesthetic problems in the neck region, and serves to rejuvenate the overall facial appearance through careful contouring and sculpting techniques. In order to achieve the best possible results from your neck lift surgery, it is important to select a skillful and competent plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Bryson Richards, whose private practice is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. Dr. Richards will employ advanced facial surgery techniques to ensure the safe and effective fulfillment of your surgical goals, while restoring a more youthfully lifted appearance to your neck region.
NECK LIFT PROCEDURAL DETAILS
Neck lift surgery can be performed as a solo procedure or as part of a facelift surgery. Generally performed on an outpatient basis, neck lifts may incorporate one or more of the following surgical techniques:
- Platysmaplasty: With age, the neck muscle known as the platysma (the broad, thin layer of muscle located on each side of the neck) begins to lose elasticity, leading to unsightly neck cords and banding.Literally defined as “reconstruction of the neck muscles,” platysmaplasty lifts and tightens the platysma, virtually eradicating all neck bands and cords.
- Corset Platysmaplasty: This technique providesthe most dramatic rejuvenation of the aging neck, and differs from other approaches by tightening the platysma muscle under the chin, where it is the loosest. This highly effective method involves the removal of all remnants of fat from the sheet of neck musculature using direct visualization, allowing for a sharp transition between the neck and jawline. In a similar to the tightening of a woman’s corset, the platysma muscle is tightened with multiple rows of surgical stitches, thereby creating a taut muscle layer, correcting the appearance of a double chin, and producing a more youthfully defined neck.
- Neck Liposuction:for younger patients who present with excess fat in the neck region but have good skin elasticity, liposuction of the neck can be performed as a stand-alone procedure. However, neck liposuction is most often performed in conjunction with a facelift and/or neck lift. When removing fat from the neck, Dr. Richards uses meticulous techniques to ensure even fat removal and a smooth neck appearance. Liposuction of the neck is a gentler, more delicate procedure than liposuction of larger body parts, and requires a much shorter recovery period.
After your neck lift surgery, you may notice bruising or swelling around the ears, jaw, and neck, which should subside within a few days. You will be able to observe visible improvements in the appearance of your neck immediately after surgery, and your preliminary results will continue to improve over the next few months.
CONTACT DR. RICHARDS
Dr. Richards utilizes a treatment philosophy that is based upon the foundational principle of individualized customization, which translates to: in-depth consultations, treatment plans that have been tailored to meet your specific needs, and comprehensive patient education, both before and after your neck lift procedure.
Dr. Richards makes it a priority to spend ample time with each patient, and to be highly accessible to his patients during every phase of their neck rejuvenation experience. If you would like to enhance the appearance of your neck, or if you have additional questions about neck lift surgery, please contact our office today. We look forward to speaking with you, and to setting up your initial consultation with Dr. Richards.